Dustin Rhodes opens up about his drug addiction past


Dustin Rhodes made an appearance on “The Sessions with Renée Paquette” to discuss a wide range of topics.

During it, he explained how his drug addiction started, which was a knee injury in 1996.

“Years and years ago I had a knee injury. It’s like ’96 I think. I started taking a few vicodins, opioids. continued to work because at the time we didn’t have on-call doctors like we do now.

“Vince one night he saw me in the bathroom taking a pill. It was just him and me in the bathroom, and I was painting my face. We had a conversation for about 30 minutes about why i shouldn’t be doing what i’m doing and getting addicted to things because he’s seen it before he’s seen it come and go and die from it he really spoke to me like a father figure. I listen to him and paint my face. I try to respect what he says and stuff, but I was going to do what I was going to do,” Dustin said.

He started taking more and more just to get through the games.

“So that 2 led to 4, 10, 20, 50. I can work hard to give my best in the ring, and then all the other things that are going on in my life, it takes over, and the depression, drugs, and that’s all I want to do is find my next fix, my next drink, my next scoop of cocaine.

“There’s this downward spiral, and then you lose sight of you having a 10-year-old daughter. You’re doing this so you won’t be in his life for a few years, which when I talk about that, and my daughter, it always, always breaks me. But it’s really hard to know that you’re so involved in drug and alcohol use and robbing your parents just to get your drugs.

Dustin remembers losing everything, including his house, and would take money from people to feed the addiction.

“I charged for a house. I lost everything. I pawned everything I had, and at the very end of 2008, I was living in an attached garage, one-car garage, at someone’s house that I was renting for $100 a month. I had a small Honda Civic. I was always trying to find things to pawn, I was always trying to sell things, and I was always trying to steal from my father. “Hey, I need this for a bill” or whatever. That’s what I mean by steal. They would send me money, and it would go straight into pills or straight into alcohol or straight into cocaine,” he continued.

“In 2008, I was really at my worst. It was two good years of not giving a fuck about anything or anyone, of wanting to die, of not feeling anymore, of not being with anyone anymore. I had my wife and she She was with me. She wasn’t an alcoholic. She wasn’t a drug addict. She stayed with me and she stayed by my side all the time.

“For the past two years, I haven’t been anywhere. I didn’t want to do anything. I was taking up to 80 pills a day. For the past two years, I’ve drank up to half a gallon of vodka every day and an 8 scoop of cocaine every three days. So that’s what I took.

“So the straw that kind of broke or whatever, I was laying in bed, and I was really drunk and I didn’t get drunk. OK, so something n Wasn’t okay, take so many pills or whatever. I was so dizzy. It wouldn’t stop. The next day, same thing. Tried to drink, tried to take pills and dizzy. ‘other stuff to get rid of it. Nothing happened.’

“I remember my wife getting up in the middle of the night. So I was taking all the vicodin and lortabs during the day, cocaine, vodka, and then taking xanax to get down at night. They will kill you. I was up to eight or 10 of them, the big ones. I woke up in the middle of the night and she was looking at me. I would skip two more thinking I can’t sleep when I was just sleeping.

“So day three of this little bottoming out, I guess, divine intervention or something. It was three in the morning and it was raining outside. My father gave me a prepaid cell phone. So I had a cell phone. It was a flip phone, but it was like anything, I didn’t use the internet or anything. So I woke up and Ta-rel was sitting next to me, and I said, “I’ve had enough,” and I wanted to go call my dad.

“So I’m really screwed. She’s trying to help me outside because there’s no cell service and I have to crawl up a hill to find a bar. I crawled up the hill, in mud, in the rain, and she’s helping me. I’m tripping. I’m crying. I just told her, I said, ‘I want you to call WWE and take me to rehab.’

“Not that day, but the next day they found me a flight to Fort Lauderdale or West Palm. They were really worried that I wouldn’t get on the plane. I made my decision, but I understand why they were worried I took my first flight, I loaded during the layover in Atlanta and I loaded up to West Palm I had a bloody shitty face The guy picked me up from the service car or whatever and I was like, ‘Stop at the store. I’m going to get a 12-pack.’ So I stopped by the store and bought a 12-pack. I drank about six before I got to the place, and I don’t remember anything else,” Rhodes explained.

Dustin noted that he went to rehab for eight days and then spent several weeks in rehab. He went to AA meetings for two consecutive years.

“I had eight days of medically induced detox. But I was pretty much in trouble for the eight days. I don’t remember going through any severe withdrawal or jerks or anything. I just remember that after two weeks I couldn’t sleep.

“Two weeks, three weeks, seeing you for the first time in a long time. Your parents come to visit you, your wife, everyone knew you were so fucked up, but you didn’t know what kind of pain it caused them. I certainly didn’t know what kind of pain it was causing me. We don’t know when we are too far. There’s no “Hey, man, I can do this”. I can do it myself. It’s impossible. But it only works when you’re ready. I was ready. So I made the decision. »

“Once they cleaned me up nice and I started seeing some things for the first time in a long time, I made the decision to stick with it. There were several things that needed to happen for me to stick with it. First, I had to take care of my recovery first, before my daughter, before work, before anything. So of course, I automatically say, ‘Hey, man, I have to do this with my daughter. I have to do that. I have to find a job now. I have to do it. I’m clean, whatever. I’m not. I’m not there yet. This takes lots of time.

“So for two years in a row I went to AA meetings. I missed maybe a handful over the two years, and that’s what did it to me. When you sit in these rooms, you are afraid to share. You don’t mean anything. But then you see someone who just got out of three-day rehab and they’re still screwed, and then you have people with 23 years of experience or 30 years of experience in this and they are like the leaders or whatever, but it’s like, you see this fucked up person and it’s like, fuck, I was so bad. I was like that not so long ago.”

H/T at WrestlingNews.co for the transcription


About Author

Comments are closed.