The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) said on Friday that the new administration under should recalibrate the war on drugs waged by the former government.
Earlier, CHR reported that President Rodrigo Duterte’s administration failed to protect the rights of victims of its illicit drug crackdown and only encouraged a ‘culture of impunity’. .
CHR Commissioner Gwen Pimentel-Gana said presumptive President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and the new administration would likely continue the government’s anti-narcotics war. “And we just hope they recalibrate their approach to the drug problem,” Pimentel-Gana said on the ANC’s ‘Rundown’ programme.
She said the new government should also continue to investigate drug-related deaths.
Pimentel-Gana said it’s the government’s obligation “because this war on drugs has actually lost, also killed so many innocent people.” They should continue to seek justice for these victims.
Earlier, the CHR, in a 48-page report, said it found police had shown “intent to kill” and used “excessive force” in drug operations.
The CHR further said that although law enforcement claimed the victims displayed aggression or resisted arrest, there were only 31 incidents in which officers were injured. .
The CHR report says that in 133 incidents, testimonies point to “discrepancies and inconsistencies in official police accounts”.
“The use of excessive and disproportionate force is also evident in 329 incidents where a single victim was killed in counter-narcotics operations involving at least three well-trained and highly skilled police officers armed with extremely reliable weapons,” the CHR report said.
“Of the 234 victims with a history of gunshot wounds, 201 (86%) were shot in the head and/or torso, further demonstrating an intent to kill police officers. In truth, the deaths of the victims were the inevitable result of the police operations,” the report states.
The CHR further said it did not have access to police documents in 295 of the drug-related murders due to no response, outright refusals or waiting for clearance from the offices. superiors.
The palace’s acting spokesman, Martin Andanar, meanwhile said the report presents a “revamping of old issues…which have already been answered”.
“Contrary to what a handful of critics would have the international community hear and read about our country, the Duterte administration leaves a legacy of a safe and secure Philippines,” Andanar said in a statement.
Last week, Duterte remained unabashed in the face of a drug crackdown, which he urged his successor to pursue with “stronger pressure”.
Marcos and alleged Vice President Sara Duterte-Carpio said earlier that “the war on drugs must be pursued and won by ‘love’.”