UPDATE: A girl who shared edibles at Upper Arlington school thought they were ‘Easter candy’, police say. Click here for the latest.
UPPER ARLINGTON, Ohio (WCMH) – Upper Arlington police confirmed that students at Windermere Elementary School ingested illegal drugs on Friday, which made all five students sick.
In a notice sent by police on Monday evening, police said the drugs were brought to school by a student and shared with other students. The police did not specify what drug it was.
A man, Scott C. Macre, 43, has been charged with child endangerment, drug possession and obstruction. Macre’s connection to the incident has not been clarified.
On Friday, five pupils at Windermere Primary School fell ill after eating what school officials said was “non-school food item” at lunch.
The school district sent a letter to parents from the principal of Windermere Elementary, which detailed how staff met before school on Monday to figure out how best to remedy the situation.
Windermere headmaster Julie Nolan said every class from year one to year five started talking about the incident on Monday, praising pupils for their behavior during the school lockdown on Friday and reminding children not to not share food during lunch.
The teachers also told the students to respect everyone’s privacy and if they needed to tell anyone, their doors are open. The school also has resource agents available to anyone who needs them.
The district added that it will address the incident with kindergarten students in an age-appropriate manner.
The district said all students affected by Friday’s incident are doing well.
Police said Friday the investigation was ongoing.
Suggest a fix